Thursday, May 26, 2005

Killing the Buddha

My niece found a saying in a Zen book "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him."

I cheated and looked it up on the Internet because it was very puzzling to me. The way I interpret this is that whatever preconceived notion I have about Buddha, or any thing or any one for that matter, is not true. What I see in my own mind is my notion and therefore not the true Buddha. In order to really get of glimpse of the real Buddha, I would have to empty my mind of what or who I think Buddha is.

This echos the empty bowl idea in that book that Heidy gave me, Everyday Sacred. If I am full of ideas of what and who Buddha is, I will not exprerience the real Buddha.

" Free your mind and the rest will follow
(Why oh why must it be this way)
Be color blind, don't be so shallow
(Before you can read me, you gotta learn to see me " ...En Vogue

I guess this idea is different then getting a lobotomy.

No comments: