Sunday, May 01, 2005

Day of the Triffids

My DVD arrived from Amazon.uk. This is a 1981 BBC TV series based on the novel by John Wyndham. I remember seeing the 1962 movie and was unaware there was a TV series and a novel. Mr. Wyndham's other claim to fame is Village of the Damned.

From what I have read, the BBC version follows the book more faithfully. The adventures of the people remind me somewhat of the ShowTime series, Jeremiah, as they try to survive in a world without the infrastructure as we know it. There are plagues, scavenging for food, pockets of survivors each with their own ideas of how society will be, and of course the bully's who use force meet their ends. The movie also reminds me of 12 Monkeys, because of the scenes in decaying cities.

The actual Triffids look much better in this incarnation. It is still a mystery what drives them. Are they intelligent or are they just reacting?

While surfing Amazon, looking at the book, I seen there is a sequel book, by Simon Clark, staring David Masen, son of Bill from the first movie.

I enjoyed the 6 part series and give it 4/5 acorns.

No comments: