Saturday, May 21, 2005

And now for something Reeaallly Different!

http://musicqigong.com/english/index.htm

An opportunity arose in the shape of a free ticket to see Master Wu Shen and his Music Qi gong, so I took it. I scurried over after work to the Hawaii Convention Center to see him.

As an aside, the Convention Center got off to a controversial start, rumors like...
"They discourage local event", parking and traffic are bad, blah blah blah. This is only the second time I've been in it, and it was woefully empty. It is very beautiful, but there were more workers then conference goers. I'm a bit worried about the Center's fate.

Anyway, when people asked me where I was going, I had to admit I really wasn't sure. It turns out Mr. Wu is now an assistant professor over at the John Burns School of Medicine, in Alternative Medicine. He speaks Mandarin and it took a while to get used to the translator. The idea is that if our yin yang is balanced, we will be healthy. He uses exercises and music to harmonize our innards-kidneys, heart, liver, lungs and stomach, and that results in good health.

One thing he said is that it only works for people who are dedicated to doing the exercises and listening to the music. He plays 30 instruments and has 5 CDs, one for each of the organs.

All I can say, is that it is really different and if it works for some people, it is better then taking a bunch of pills.

The closest I've come to something like this is Acupuncture. I tried it for Depression since I hate taking pills, and I think it did help.

I notice that Mr. Wu's techniques are very much like meditation or self-hypnosis.

No comments: