Friday, April 08, 2005

Visitors Galore

Over the last few weeks two of my sisters, their husbands, and 2 nieces, one with a husband, and one nephew have visited the "compound". I live in what is technically a condominium (actually two houses on one lot) with my parents and 2 sons.

This has actually worked out fairly well since the parents have their own house. The rest of the family except for one niece all live in the continental US (we call it the Mainland) and when they visit they usually stay at the folks place, and I get any overflow. One son was nice enough to move in with his dad for a few days for his cousin.

For whatever reasons, my 3 sisters and myself have gotten closer of late. Events such as a a wedding, a critical illness, aging parents, pending divorce have drawn us together again. As the next generation has grown up I've really appreciated visiting with them and getting to know them. It amazes me how eerily like my siblings they can be, yet I enjoy learning how unique they each are, too.

Of all the people that I have learned things from, I think the surprising thing is how much I learned from my children, and now from my nieces and nephews. The teacher has become the pupil.

No comments: