Monday, April 25, 2005

Heaven's Gate Review

I was obsessing on this movie for some reason. Might have been because I watched Dances with Wolves again and it made me think about Westerns.

My recollection of why I didn't see this movie before, is that it was criticized endlessly when it first came out, that no one in their right mind would want to see it. Now that the waters have subsided, it actually has some good reviews. Deerhunter it is not, but for such a long movie, I still found it intriguing.

It is loosely based on a real incident in Montana history. As Hollywood does sometimes, the names of real people were used for characters unlike the original. I'm glad I didn't read up on the real event before seeing the film.

It made me think about what it was really like to live in those times. The country was so beautiful but living was hard, especially for women. The storylines did not always connect and develop well, and so for that I will have to give it only 3/5 acorns.

No comments: