Monday, August 22, 2005

Weeding, big DUH


For years as a child, my parents made me weed, like it was some great honor and relaxing rewarding event. The patio is made of bricks and has sand in between. The weeks come up regularly and I was led to believe the solution was to get those roots out. In fact, I was threatened and called stupid if I didn't do it just right.

Well I now own this house and so the weed problem is all mine. Not so surprisingly, I hate weeding, and do not find it relaxing or enlightening, but that's just me. I have tried allowing them to grow, justifying them by saying, that I like the "natural" look. Roundup is a great herbicide if one is trying to defoliate the planet, but unfortunately it is not discriminating between unwanted growth and treasured bird of paradise or sweet smelling pakalana, so I have taken to encouraging my sons to get those roots out. My reasoning has not been that they will find it rewarding and relaxing, but that it will enable me to keep the house if they help with those jobs I don't like. (and I don't call them stupid!)

So, number one son is out there attempting to get out those roots, when the yard service man comes by with his weedwhacker and says, "Hey, I can get those for you." I came home to a very neat looking patio. I know the roots are still there, but I'm thinking after 50 years, there is nothing short of digging up all the stones, and pouring some potent poison on there that will anniliate all those roots, so I can't be any worse off.

So I ask myself, why the heck didn't I think of that! I honestly had contemplated a blow torch, but worried about the use of fossil fuel. After all, I do pay for yard service and I bet it didn't take him very long to do it!

No comments: