Saturday, July 01, 2006

Moanalua Morning and Ghost Dog, Review


It's been quite cloudy here and the doldrums of summer have not really started yet. The sun was peeking through the clouds in this view up Moanalua Valley from the parking lot of my meeting location. I have to figure out better settings on my camera for this time of day or work on my photo enhancment skills.


I watched Ghost Dog again. Forrest Whitaker is such a great actor, imo. He plays a man who is "saved" by a mobster when he is being beaten up by thugs while he is selling newspapers. This changes his life and he dedicates his life to this man, and follows the Bushido code of the samurai as he interprets it from the bookHagakure. He becomes a hit man for his master, and Ghost Dog to those in his community.
After 14 perfect hits, one goes wrong through no fault of Ghost Dog's or his master. But, the big boss insists that Ghost Dog die, or his master will. His code prepares him to think of death everyday and to not fear it. He will protect his lord with his last dying breath.
I am not a big rap fan, but the music fits this movie. Ghost Dog as a relationship with the rappers on the street who repect him and the music sets a nice pulse for the movie.
Ghost Dog has a Haitian friend who runs a ice cream truck in the park, speaking Haitian French over the loudspeaker advertising the benefits of ice cream, undaunted by the fact that no one else, including Ghost Dog, understands most of what he is saying.
He also shares books with Pearline and the daughter of the big boss, the two Japanese classics Rashomon and Hagakure.
This is one of my favorite movies. Forrest Whitaker directed one of my other favorite movies Hope Floats. I rate this 4/5 acorns.

No comments: