Sunday, July 16, 2006

Mermaid Chronicles Part 1: She Creature, Review




I talked myself out of seeing A Scanner Darkly today and instead watched She Creature again as it was playing on SciFi Channel. I found it just as entertaining the second time around. It is a gothic monster movie of the Lovecraftian kind, dark, wet and fantastic. A couple of carnies hook up and steal a Mermaid from a crazed old man. They decide to take it back to American to make millions. The woman connects telepathically with the Mermaid and when a man from her less then stellar past threatens her, she dreams dark dreams and the man disappears. The mermaid spits out his ring and it is apparent to her that he has become lunch.

The ship mysteriously has been steered to an uncharted island. There is a lot of fog. As crew members vanish the Mermaid starts to look much healthier. Her secret is finally revealed.

I will rate this 2.5/acorns. I will also give it a clive (for horror and gore). It's not as gory as Dagon. I loved the costumes and thought the story was original. The actor who played Murdoch in Dark City is in this movie.

No comments: