Friday, December 22, 2006

La Boheme, Review



I watched the Australian version of La Boheme. The DVD has added something really great for me, subtitles. It really helps to know what the story is. Opera has so much angst built into the solos.
It was a little bothersome to me that the love between Mimi and Rodolfo is so quick in much the way that Mulan raced through to the end. I know it has to be as, but still it's a bit bothersome. However, the songs they sing to each other at the end of the first act are some of the most moving sounds to me. I think it is better left in Italian, though.
And guess what? Mimi dies. Well I knew that because it's opera.
It tough not to compare the artists, but Maria Callas and Pavarotti are hard to beat. I love the sets on this production.
I will give it 2.5/5 acorns.

No comments: