Sunday, December 10, 2006

Blood Diamond, Review



Leonardo DiCaprio made an impression on me as Johnny Depp's brother in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. He went on to wow me in Titanic. I still can't get his frozen face out of my brain when I hear that song. He made a few stinkers, too, imo. He does a South African accent in Blood Diamond. I can't really saw how well he really does it, but he does it quite effortlessly. I enjoyed him in this part as well as the one he played in The Departed.
Djimon Hounsou was born in Cotonou, Benin. According to Wikipedia Cotonou means mouth of the River of Death. Benin was once called Dahomey and was once occupied by the French. It may be the home of Voodoo. Just reading up on this has made me realize how provincial I really am. Mr. Hounsou plays a humble fisherman and father in this movie and shows his range of emotions.
Jennifer Connelly was really beautiful in this movie, and did a fine job, but was perhaps a bit too sparkly for the role.
The story is about the Kimberley Process which tries to insure that the people from areas that mine the diamonds benefit from the diamonds. Diamonds from conflict areas are illegally obtained and the proceeds often support war efforts. The conflict in Sierra Leone happened in the 1990s and the sale diamonds bought guns used in this violent confrontation.

I will rate this movie 3.8/5 acorns. It had a fair amount of violence. The scenary was beautiful and the music haunting. Mr. DiCaprio was very convincing and buff I might say, as the mercenary who believes in nothing and will say anything to get what he wants, who is moved toward redemption by the passion of a reporter and the heart of a father.

No comments: