Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, Review

While channel surfing today I paused on a Walker Texas Ranger episode and a Walkerism hit me. Our only limitations are the ones we place on ourself. Okay, well, Walker didn't actually say this, I will attribute it to him since I heard it on his show. This is one of those shows I can't seem to get away from. Every time I surf, it is on some where, very much like Law and Order, or CSI. In fact tonight while channel surfing I stopped at a CSI epidsode where a disgruntled chef murders a women who ruined his reputation in the past by falsely claiming she was made ill by his cooking and sued him fraudulently. He gets his revenge by coming on to her, then force feeding her a live octapus.
It reminds me a that time I went ika (squid) fishing with my dad. He caught a baby octapus and put it into a plastic bag (pre-ziplock era), tied a knot in the bag, and stuffed it in his pocket. When we got home, the octopus had escaped through a tiny hole.
Oh my, I'm rambling.

Anyway, back to the review.


Tommy Lee Jones directed and starred in this movie. It takes place on the border near Mexico. The movie jumps around a bit, but basically he meets Melquiades one day when he rides by looking for work. He is in the country illegally. After working together for a while, they become friends and Melquiades makes Tommy promise that if something happens, then he will take him back to Mexico and bury him in his home town. He shows Tommy a picture of his wife and 3 children and says he hasn't seen them for 5 years.

Well something does happento Mequiades as the title says.

This movie was rated pretty well on IMDB. I found it a bit slow. Maybe I just didn't get it. I will give it 2/5 acorns.

I'll have to watch it again.

No comments: