Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Stop, I wanna get off!

Work is like a merry-go-round, and as it's come full circle, I think I'll get off. I'm 95% sure I will retire next year some time. I decided just to do it and not necessarily have a plan for a job right a way. So I inquired about the steps.

I "should" notify the group 6 months in advance unlike the person I worked with who gave two days notice, packed her office up in the night and left.

Apparently "comp" time which is not really voluntary cannot be taken in the last 6 months of employment. Also only comp time accrued in the last 6 months is payed back, and only at some token amount. So, I have to use up as much as I can from now until the 6 months before I retire. I have about 20 days, not to mention some vacation days. I was thinking about March, but since I won't be able to use all of that comp time before September, I might shoot for July 1. This sucks as basically I worked those hours for "free". Vacation is always used up first. If worse comes to worse, I'll just lose it.

It's scary, but really I don't feel like my group is going in a direction I like.

No comments: