Saturday, September 23, 2006

The Peking Robin


(photo from: http://www.hoglezoo.org/animals/view.php?id=192)

While sipping my coffee and eating the Oatmeal Muffins from sister Susan's recipe, I head that sickening thud that meant only one thing...bird hitting window. I glanced out and there on the ground was a beautiful bird, one I'd never seen, standing looking rather stunned. He proceeded to topple over after making some feeble attempts to stand. I gathered him up and put him in a little tub which I covered with newspaper since I didn't want any neighborhood cats to find him. Meanwhile I noticed more of his kind flying around the patio. I peeked at him every once and while and was encouraged that he wasn't dead. I left the room and later ran back hearing another thud. He was not in the tub where I left him and was sitting on my floor. I tried to get him to sit on a branch outside but he just sat there and then transferred to my finger. I checked his wings and they seemed okay. We sat looking at each other for awhile and then he flew away! Oh joy, oh joy.
I was able to find out from The Birds of North America online, that he was a Leiothrix lutea, a "blabber" introduced to Hawaii in 1911. Why it is I'v never seen one before, and now I've seen a flock, I can't explain. They mate for life, so I'm glad he flew away and hope he finds his way home.

It always amazes me what information is available on the Web. I have yet to discover what this fungus found growing in my sister's yard is, but I'm sure the info is out there.


Aaah, hold the phone! It's a Lycoperdon pulcherimum.

No comments: