Saturday, September 02, 2006

And It Ain't Even Halloween yet

The movie watching has slowed down in the heat of the summer, but I watched Silent Hill, Day of the Dead and Ultraviolet (TV series).

Silent Hill had lots of creepy effects and dead people. It was entertaining but not memorable to me. The story was a little hard to follow. There were great animated bugs and that always counts for something.

Day of the Dead was the third of George Romero's zombie trilogy. The first one, Night of the Living Dead is pretty much THE zombie movie and it still scares the heck out of me. Dawn of the Dead was a real action movie with zombies that can run fast. Day of the Dead has Bob. Bob is the "tame" zombie. The special effects and make-up are pretty amazing. The extras on the second disc show how they were done, and I must say they are quite convincing. This is not the kind of movie you want to watch while eating lunch.

Ultraviolet is a UK TV show. The first few episodes were quite slow and I could have used some subtitles. I put it aside for a while and started back on the second disc. I got in to it a lot more and went back to watch the first disc again. It is quite dark and serious with some new twists on the vampire theme. A clandestine goverment agency recruits a newly bitten, reluctant policeman and he is cured. He has to go after a close friend who has turned. The exploded vampires turn to dust and the dust is collected and stored as they can regenerate.

All of these movies have clives and are not for the faint of heart. I will give Hills 2/5 acorns, Day 3.5/5 and Ultra 3/5 acorns.

I will be absent from blogging for a few weeks as I will be vacationing. At least I don't have to worry about missing 24, as Season 6 doesn't start until Jan.7. I got my free month of wifi to try out. too.

No comments: