Sunday, September 24, 2006

Gastronomical Delights


One of the great things about traveling is not having to eat my own cooking, which has suffered a decline of late. This trip I visited my sister in Wisconsin who is a great cook and also my friends in Washington, who are also a great cooks. I ate out at some great places.

Starting with breakfast, had wonderful pancakes cute and small with blueberries and syrup and waffles. I also had the wonderful oatmeal muffins...for some reason mine didn't come out as yummy. I was also treated great barbecued chicken and steak, and salmon, teriyaki black cod and lamb. The fresh fruits and vegies were plentiful and so beautiful. Both the market in Madison and The University District Farmer's Market were alive with color and treats, including chanterelles and morel mushrooms and the best apples I ever ate! The fresh huckleberries were so sweet.

I had some great eating out experiences at Devotay in Iowa City, specializing in local harvast and pottery made by owner, the satisfying and hot Squash Curry at Sukho Thai and Pho at Saigon Noodle House in Madison, as well a dinner on the Lake at Sardines (next to the bike shop). In Seattle there was Lola's with it's unique and tasty small plates, and Bouchee's with it's assemble your own crepes and French Press coffee.

I attended a benefit for the Camano Whidbey Land Trust and experienced the breaking in of the paella for 200 pan, provided by David and the Bay Leaf , also in honor of David the paella maker man's 50th birthday.


While I missed the ribs at Smokey Jon's in Madison this time around, I did get some in Oak Harbor at Pot Belly Deli Steak and Rib in Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island.

I cooked two things while on Whidbey, Coupeville Summer Pudding and Apple, Pear, Peach Crisp. I saw The Barefoot Contessa on TV while in Seattle and she was making Summer Pudding with Rum Whipped Cream . My variation utilized the blackberries picked from the yard and oh so sweet this year. I used only black berries, Grand Marnier, lemon zest and juice and 7 grain bread. It was mighty tasty, imo:)

No comments: