Sunday, December 25, 2005

Hitting the Note




What is it about the blues? I was giving up the blues because by definition it is about angst and loss and well, the Blues. I was going to take my life away from dark places with World Music where even if the words were really bummers, I didn't know since the music was in a language I didn't underdstand.

And then, I listened to this CD, Hitting the Note. I am an Allman Brother's Band fan going pretty far back. I didn't discover them until after Gregg Allman's untimely death, but I did experience one of the most memorable concerts of my college years hearing Dicky Betts and Duane rock in Kansas City.

The band has reconstituted with Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks on guitar, and of course Duane Allman. And yes the lyrics are about life's bumps and love's lost, but I discovered that it's not about the lyrics for me so much as it is about the beat and the wailing guitars. This music makes me stomp my feet and want to get up and dance.

And that's why I love the blues so.

No comments: